Knowledge base


Renting with friends and flatmates

Flat/house sharing agreements between tenants and other flatmates are not covered under the Residential Tenancies Act 1986. This is separate to the tenancy agreement between the tenant and the owner/property manager.

Each tenant in a flatmate situation is equally liable for the tenancy, the condition of the property & the rent.
For example, a group of 4x young professionals, all living together in the same property, under one tenancy agreement.

We recommend renters in this situation type up an agreement between flatmates & have each person sign to confirm how much bond they will pay on entering the property, how much rent they will pay for their room & how much notice they can give if they wish to leave the tenancy.

Download the flatshare agreement from Tenancy Services here

If one tenant wishes to leave the tenancy, often this means the remaining tenants paying out their portion of the bond or a replacement tenant doing the same.
This process should take place at the same time as the relevant forms are signed.

What type of tenancy agreement should I sign?

Fraser Flynn requires all persons over the age of 18 years to be signed onto a tenancy agreement. This means you and your friends are equally responsible for the rent, the condition or the property and meeting the terms of the tenancy agreement.

Have questions? Get in touch